For the past 11 years volunteers have organized the Glen Lapp Memorial Volleyball Tournament indoors at Lancaster Mennonite School. This year, due to COVID-19, they are moving outside!
The tournament is being held on June 12 starting at 9 a.m. on Lancaster Mennonite School’s soccer fields by Tanger Outlets, off of Lincoln Highway East/Route 30 E, with a rain date of June 13.
Although they’re disappointed that they couldn’t host this year’s tournament indoors in January, as usual, they are excited for this change. Past year’s tournaments were limited to 40 teams and they needed to turn teams away; that won’t be a problem this year, since there is space for more teams outdoors.
What does the event benefit?
Glen Lapp is a 1987 graduate of Lancaster Mennonite School. He played volleyball at Eastern Mennonite University and coached at Lancaster Mennonite in the 90’s. He was an example to all he met as he demonstrated love and respect with his quiet, peaceful personality. In 2010 Glen made national headlines when he and nine others were killed while they were providing free medical assistance to a remote area in Afghanistan.
This tournament was created to honor Glen’s life and passion for volleyball, and is played in a laid back style to reflect Glen’s personality. All proceeds benefit the Glen D. Lapp Endowment for Student Aid. Over the last 10 years, over $60,000 has been raised to provide scholarships for immigrant/refugee students.
How do I register?
This is a two division tournament:
- “B” Division has a 9 a.m. start on Saturday, June 12 (June 13 rain date) – Outdoor LMS sports fields beside Tanger Outlets
- “A” Division has a 9 a.m. start on Saturday, June 12 (June 13 rain date) – Outdoor LMS sports fields beside Tanger Outlets
- Division “A” is more competitive than Division B
- No maximum number of teams
- 4 vs 4 on court
- Each team is guaranteed to play at least 8 games
- Friendly laid-back atmosphere to reflect Glen’s personality
- Call your own fouls
For more information or to register, please visit: www.glenlappvolleyball.weebly.com
The cut off date for getting a t-shirt with your registration is May 22.