Our STEAM Framework
STEAM stands for science, technology, engineering, art and math. In grades PreK-12th our students participate in STEAM.
We believe STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics) and design-thinking are extremely important, so that is why we make it a part of our approach at all of our campuses for grades PreK-12th. Our campuses integrate hands-on learning into our curriculum, like: robotics, coding, makerspace, gardens, and much more!
We’ve recently been named by Newsweek as a Top 5,000 STEM High School – learn more. LM is in the top 10% for U.S. high schools nationally due to our innovative STEM curriculum and opportunities, and amazing teach staff that are preparing students to excel in college, career and life.
STEAM represents a shift in education towards an integrated understanding of the topics being taught and where they overlap, rather than simply facts to be memorized. Lancaster Mennonite integrates science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics in an interdisciplinary and applied approach at all of our campuses for grades PreK-12th.
We believe STEAM and design-thinking are extremely important, so that is why we make it a part of our approach at every age. Although in practice it may look different, our teachers are intentional about creating age-appropriate STEAM activities at all of our campuses for grades PreK-12th.
What is the same at every grade level is:
- Integration of design-oriented projects into traditional courses – This lets them walk through the steps of planning, designing, and creating projects with their hands that can be adapted into real world problem solving.
- Strengthening 21st century skills, like: creativity, cooperation, communication, critical thinking and problem-solving needed to succeed in the workplace of the future.
- Multi-Discipline Approach – While there are designated times for math or science class, our teachers integrate topics between subject matter for an interdisciplinary and applied approach.
- Faith Integration – As with all our courses, our teachers weave faith into the core of their subject matter and encourage students to use their God-given gifts of creativity and problem-solving to find ways to create a better world from what they are learning in class. Jesus is the model for living our lives, and STEAM classes equip our kids with the faith and tools to be ready to live in the world.
LM includes these classes as part of its elementary curriculum:
- Art & MakerSpace
- Music (Instrumental and vocal)
Elementary teachers integrate various subjects together to help students gain deeper knowledge of subject area and be prepared for the real world where they will need to be able to pull multiple subject areas all together. Teachers walk students through the steps of planning, designing and creating projects with their hands that are rooted in real world problem solving.
Example: Elementary students explored caterpillars and butterflies in their science, math, and writing classes. They daily observed a caterpillar in a cocoon in their classroom, in Math class they did calculations about when the butterfly may arrive, and in writing class wrote poems and essays about caterpillars and butterflies.
Our Middle School teachers integrate science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics in an interdisciplinary and applied approach throughout the Middle School curriculum.
LM includes these classes as part of its middle school curriculum:
- Music (Instrumental and vocal)
In Middle School, each quarter students get to explore topics like: water crisis, history now, and colonizing mars by trying to solve a complex problem experienced in the real world. Students are encouraged to acquire knowledge and skills through investigation, integration, synthesis and collaborate on hands-on projects with other students. It’s important for students to integrate design-thinking and design-oriented projects into their core subjects throughout the year.
LM has a variety of the core STEAM classes for high school students looking to gain the knowledge from the coursework, strengthen 21st century skills, and attain tools needed to succeed in the workplace of the future. In addition LM provides extracurricular clubs, sports and competitions to participate in.
- AP Biology
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Calculus BC
- AP Chemistry
- AP Computer Science Principles
- AP Computer Science A (coming 2021-22)
- AP Physics C: Mechanics
- AP Statistics
- Honors Physics
- Introduction to Data Science
- Technology and Design
- Music – Instrumental, choir, band and orchestra
- Art – 2D Design, Painting, Drawing, Photography, and Sculpture
- Culinary Arts
- And many more…
LM Offers 28 AP & Honors Courses, and all the AP Science and Math Courses available!