Dear Parents and Community Members,
The Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association (PIAA) governs the rules of competition for all athletic events. The PIAA provided clarification regarding school athletic events in its Return to Competition document.
PIAA has stated the following regarding spectators at events:
PIAA has received many inquiries regarding the ability of spectators to attend school athletic events. This is not a PIAA decision. PIAA is following the sports guidance created and sent out by the Governor’s Office. To view this public document that illustrates the guidance for Pre-K to 12 School Sports.
The following guidelines will be put into place with regard to what parents/spectators may experience during their student-athletes competition during the 2020 Fall sports season:
As stated by the PIAA, all sports-related activities must adhere to the gathering limitations set forth by the Governor’s Plan for Phased Reopening (25 or fewer people for an indoor activity, 250 or fewer people for outdoor activity) and the facility as a whole may not exceed 50 percent of total occupancy otherwise permitted by law. All individuals present at the facility at which such activities are held count towards gathering limitations and must comply with the face-covering order and social distancing guidelines Please see LMS’s current spectator rules below.
Unfortunately, due to the number of participants, coaches, referees, game officials, and lines-persons, the 25-person limit is met WITHOUT the ability for spectators to attend. As such, neither home nor visiting spectators will be permitted. There will be no spectators allowed to the indoor events until further notice.
Stadium Rules for LMS Community
- A maximum of 4 family members per event (2 parents/immediate family members and 2 grandparents). Based on the athletes on the official team’s roster, the student-athletes parents and grandparents can attend. If you are not a parent/immediate family member or grandparent listed on our attendance list, you will not be permitted to enter the stadium.
- No students nor children are allowed to attend the events. The only exception for children to attend the events is for parents who do not have a babysitter or who have children who are unable to stay home. This will need to be expressed to the Director of Athletics prior to the event.
- All spectators who attend the event will need to follow the general LMS Athletics Health and Safety Plan as well as the general protocols set forth by the CDC: Wearing a mask is mandatory when walking to and from the bathrooms. Wearing a mask is recommended when seating. Families may sit together but if you are a non-family member, you must be 6-feet apart.
- International student-athletes are permitted to have 2 host parents attend the event.
- There will be a warning sign at the stadium for spectators to know that they are entering the stadium with the known risk involved due to COVID-19.
- All JV parents on the attendance list must leave the stadium after the JV event ends (evening games).
- There will be one-way traffic patterns for spectators. To enter the stadium bleachers, you are encouraged to enter the bleachers by using the side steps and exiting the stands by using the center steps. for those uncomfortable with using the stairs, you are allowed to use the ramp.
Field Rules (JV or Junior High Sports)
Spectators are allowed to attend all field events. The only rule is that all spectators who attend the event will need to follow the general LMS Athletics Health and Safety Plan as well as the general protocols set forth by the CDC.
- Wearing a mask is mandatory when walking to and from the bathrooms
- Wearing a mask is recommended when seating (unless you are amongst family members)
- Families may sit together but if you are a non-family member, you must be 6-feet apart
Tennis Courts & Cross Country Course
Parents should bring their own chairs to the event. We want spectators to wear masks unless they are able to consistently maintain a social distance of six or more feet.
PLEASE NOTE: Other school districts may have other rules in place. Please be sure you understand the rules at other school district’s events should you choose to be a spectator at an away event when permitted. Contact the head coach for the details of the away team’s protocol. Click here for the coach’s contact information: Coaches Contact Information.
Ticket Purchasing for Spectators
Instead of purchasing tickets at the stadium, we have made all ticket purchasing through our ticket purchasing system. The only people who will be allowed to purchase the tickets are the parents/immediate family members and grandparents listed on our attendance list. Everyone on the attendance list will need to purchase a ticket before entering the stadium. If you are not on the attendance list, you will not be permitted to enter the stadium.
You could choose to purchase the tickets in advance on our events page. We will also be sending this ticket purchasing link to all of the parents to our home and away team’s parents once we receive the home and away team’s official roster.
Live Streaming of Athletic Events
Due to the spectator limitations that we have for the fall season, we have been blessed to open up live streaming capabilities so that the rest of the LMS community and beyond can now watch all of our home events conveniently from home. Our live streaming option is free!
Please click and share this link to view all of our home games that we will live stream: https://livestream.com/lancastermennonite
Marvin L. Sanders II
Director of Athletics